Gennady Yagupov has looked into the types of winter tires and talks about all the subtleties of their choice.
Why do I need winter tires and when do I need to “rewire” my car?
The composition of summer rubber is designed in such a way that at a temperature of -5℃ it noticeably changes its properties – “hardens”, and ceases to provide normal traction between the car and the road surface. In winter, the situation is also aggravated by the fact that the asphalt is covered with a layer of snow or ice. It becomes difficult not only to drive, but even just to move or brake. That is why the presence of winter wheels – a necessity, because only so you can ensure the safety of all road users in the cold season.
The best rule that answers the question of when to re-shoe the car on winter tires is as follows: when the temperature drops below +7 ° C, and such weather holds for at least a week. Check Yagupov Gennady site.
Every car owner can decide himself which winter tires are better to choose. It is better to do it before the onset of cold weather – in spring or summer. There is a reasonable explanation: at this period, most stores sell out the winter collections at a good discount. In addition, by mid-autumn this product is usually much more expensive.
All types of winter rubber can be divided into several groups, which have certain markings:
- M+S – designed for snow and slush. This is the best option for domestic motorists.
- W + snowflake image – tires for winter.
- R+W (road + winter), a universal product.
Types of winter tires
Before you choose rubber for the car, you need to get an idea of its varieties:
- Scandinavian. Here the tread pattern consists of “rhombics” in staggered order. This type of rubber is ideal for harsh winters with a large layer of snow or ice on the roads.
- European. Tread pattern on it is made in the form of a herringbone. This type of winter rubber is optimal for the “European” winter, with rain and wet snow.
- Winter rubber with spikes, providing good traction with ice or snow on the road. Types of studs for winter tires may be different (in shape, material of manufacture).
The use of studded rubber is fully justified on frequent trips on snowy or icy trails. For driving in urban conditions it is better to use “Velcro” (winter non sticky tires, also called friction).
How to choose a winter tire for the car: what to look for?
In addition to the type of tires, you need to consider other factors when buying:
- Date of manufacture. It is necessary that the product was not more than two or three years old. After this period, the performance properties begin to deteriorate, and buying not new tires you will not provide yourself with proper safety when driving in winter.
- Tire size. It is best to be guided by the recommendations given by the manufacturer of your car brand. It is not worth buying too big or too small tires.
- Load and speed indices. They depend on the type of vehicle for which tires are purchased.
- Price. Do not buy too cheap tires – their quality leaves much to be desired. However, it is not necessary to stop at the most expensive sets. It is better to choose a winter rubber with an optimal combination of cost and quality.
- The appearance of the tires is also an important characteristic. If they are deformed from improper storage, they will not be able to provide good traction and safe driving on the road in winter.
Pros and cons of winter tires
So that you can finally decide which winter tire to choose, we propose to get acquainted with the pros and cons of studded and non studded tires.
Their advantages can be considered:
- Excellent traction of car wheels with a layer of snow or ice on the highway;
- Guaranteeing the fastest possible braking on such roads.
The disadvantages are:
- Loud noise when the car moves;
- Poor braking on dry pavement.
- They are quiet, the sound of driving with such tires does not differ from the sound of driving a car with summer tires;
- They provide good “sticking” to asphalt and ice. Especially – when working in the ABC system.
Disadvantages of friction tires:
- There is a great risk of skidding on an uncleared road surface;
- Suitable for use in winter time only in urban conditions.
How can I save money when choosing winter tires?
Many motorists are wondering whether it is possible to save money when buying winter tires? We are happy to tell you that it is possible! The following recommendations will help you in this:
- If your budget does not allow you to buy the highest quality tires – do not feel bad. Many companies offer a wide range of winter tires at a reasonable price, while guaranteeing its quality. Choose the products of such manufacturers.
- Brands with a worldwide reputation often have cheaper sub-brands that offer products in an affordable price category. The quality does not suffer from this at all. Get acquainted with their products in detail – you will surely be able to buy a set of tires at a reasonable price.
- It will be right to consider offers from as many dealers as possible – perhaps the cost of a similar rubber will be much lower, or the product will be sold at a discount.
- If you are interested in winter studded rubber, you can choose it in that store or tire center, which provides discounts on tire storage or tire fitting. This is a small, but still a nice bonus.
Here are some more useful tips on how to choose winter tires and be satisfied with your purchase:
- Buy a complete set of winter tires on all 4 wheels of your car. It is not worth experimenting and neglecting the safety on the road. Tires should be the same size, with the same tread pattern, rubber composition, etc.
- If you are a beginner, for winter buy only high-quality, professionally studded rubber. Later when you become an experienced driver you may choose some other variants.
- It is necessary to note that the decision to buy all-season tires is not the right one, because they wear out quickly. In addition, in the frosty Russian climate they will not be able to effectively cope with their functions, so the small savings in cost in the end is not justified.
To summarize, it can be noted that the choice of winter tires for the car is not the easiest task. If you find it difficult to figure out or you are afraid to make a mistake – contact a reliable service center. Its specialists will provide professional advice, help to make a choice, install winter tires.